In the technological, fast paced, over-scheduled climate that we live in, I find myself and others talking about anxiety, stress and looking for ways to slow down. Or maybe it is just the people I talk to (mothers) and blogs I read (written by mothers.) Either way, everyone is looking for pieces of Zen in their daily lives. While therapy may be a great way to unload our stressors onto a willing listener, most of us do not have the time or money to see a therapist regularly. And honestly, I’m not convinced dumping my thoughts on a regular basis is necessarily my way to peace and harmony, though there are times in life where that is exactly what I need. More importantly, finding ways to “let go” and free myself from those disquieting thoughts is how I find solace.
So, here is my “work in progress”, dynamic list of favorite forms of free therapy:
- Drinking coffee in the early morning hours when the house is still sleeping
- Exercise in some form…right now it is weekly yoga. I plan to tack on some running in there soon
- Blogging (obviously) J
- Walking and chatting with a friend who asks “how are you?”, means it and is willing to listen to the answer
- Eating a Mr. Goodbar in the middle of the day when the toddler is sleeping
- Reading a good book…currently “A River Runs through It” which is incredibly relaxing in its telling and life lessons
- Walking outside just before bed, gazing at the stars and taking a nice, big, deep breath letting all the stressors of the day go with it
These are the few ways that I find some space each day. How do you find yours?
Thanks http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/writing-challenge-more/ for the fun challenge of the “More” button!